Frequently asked questions

For more detailed information, please read the SEND Information Report

What is SEND?

SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and/ or Disability. All pupils need support in different ways. A pupil is identified as having SEND if they require additional and or different provision to be made for them, beyond the provision available to all. 

What does SEND support look like at Maylands?

Inclusion is embedded in everything we do. Most pupils needs will be met through high quality teaching and a purposeful learning environment. We have high expectations and aspirations of all pupils, ensuring all pupils engage in a broad and balanced curriculum together. SEND support is subtle and encourages independence and a 'can do' attitude. There are clear boundaries to maintain a purposeful learning environment for all pupils. 

What should I do if I think my child has an additional need?

Communication between home and school is vital to ensure the right support is put into place. Initially, parents should speak to the class teacher if they have any concerns about their child. You can also request a meeting with the school SENDCo.

What will the school do?

We regularly monitor and discuss pupil progress. A range of strategies are in place to support all pupils known as Quality First Teaching (QFT). We are able to refer to external agencies and have access to private specialists for Speech and Language and Play Therapy. Any support beyond QFT would mean a pupil is receiving SEND support and would be put onto the SEND register.

What is the SEND register?

The SEND register is a document kept by the school identifying pupils receiving additional and or different provision in school to meet their needs. Pupils can move on and off of the SEND register as their level of need may change over time.

What if my child has a diagnosis?

The school will require a copy of the diagnosis letter to keep on file. A diagnosis letter does not automatically mean a pupil will need SEND support.

How will I know how well my child is doing?

You will be invited to meet with the class teacher at the beginning of the Autumn, Spring and Summer Term and receive a written report at the end of the academic year. If your child is on SEND support because they receive Private Speech and Language Therapy, Play Therapy or 1:1 Thrive sessions, you will receive a termly letter. If they need further provision to be made, they will have a SEND support plan, which will be reviewed termly. If your child has an EHCP, there will also be an annual review. You will be invited to attend and contribute to these reviews.